How to restore a backup
How to restore a backup of your Gramps genealogy Family Tree database.
Importing backup archives
The following workflow is for Gramps version 3.3 or later versions of the
Restore a Gramps backup archive from the Desktop
The easiest method is to find the archive file (while Gramps is not running) in the OS. Right-click that file and choose to Open with Gramps from the context menu. The OS will launch the Gramps application, create a blank tree, name the tree to match the archive, import the archive, and you're ready to continue with your research. All that completes with a single action.
Restore a Gramps backup archive from within Gramps
You can also Start Gramps and do those steps manually.
- From the Family Trees menu, select Manage Family Trees...
- From the Family Trees dialog:
- Select New
- When the new row appears, either: press Enter key to accept default name; or, change the name before pressing the Enter key.
(The Tree can be renamed at a later time too.)
- Select the Load Family Tree button
- From the Family Trees menu, select Import...
- Navigate to the family tree backup archive file in the Import Family Tree file dialog
- To begin restoring the family tree backup archive file, double-click it. (Or select it and then click the Import button.)
Once completed, the Import Statistics dialog will be shown to confirm a successful import.
You can now continue with your research on your family tree.