Gramps in another language
This article's content is incomplete or a placeholder stub.
This topic needs drastic expansion. I hope some of the topic pages exist in various forms. But Translators & users of Gramps in another language will be more aware of them. (Most pages found so far seem to be written for scripting experts. I hope to keep this page at a less intimidating level. Link to technical process pages, don't make THIS introductory level page into something overwhelming.) Expect the English base page to be very fluid for October while the material is collated. It might not be wise to begin translating until the Stub warning is removed (before 1 Dec 2019).
Using Gramps in my native Language
Installing, learning and using Gramps is already challenging. If you wish to do that in a language other English, there are a few things to explore.
Your first question is probably if the Gramps supports your preferred language? But the answer is not simple. Parts of the interface might have been translated but there are sure to be items that were missed or addon modules that are still untranslated.
Since the Wiki is huge and some pages are obsolete, there will always be pages (and screenshots) that are only available in English.
Teaching an English Gramps installation another language
The recommended method of setting up support for a language is to install Gramps on a system already configured for that language. The installers adapt to supported languages an select the basic configuration as needed. But sometimes it is necessary to support an additional language.
- Installing a language overlay
- Adding the spell-check dictionary
- Setting the default language
- Starting in an alternate language from the command line
Important pages on the Wiki
- The standard How to install Gramps in English and italiano
- Gramps Manual main index in English and македонски
- A visual guide to the Gramps interface in English and français
- How to contact Gramps in English and русский.
- The about Gramps box in English and Deutsch
- Print reports in yet another language
- Localized calendars & holidays
- Reporting a Help button that doesn't link to the translated page
- Find the Help button link file
- Finding the language overlay
Reinterpreted material is likely to have unfortunate, or even offensive, translation errors. Please recognize this with good humor but also report it to the WikiContributor for your language. A suggestion for the corrected text is more helpful than a simple complaint.
The Gramps Wiki documentation is a community project. If you notice that documentation is: outdated, incomplete, entirely missing, or not yet translated into your native language; request a WikiContributor account and help us improve! Or join our volunteers translating the wiki or interface.
- github gramps-project mailmap
- about Gramps 'Credits' button (do the credit vary for different OSes? Nick Hall isn't listed on grampsw.exe for Windows)