This is a Third-party Addon.
Please use carefully on data that is backed up, and help make it better by reporting any comments or problems to the author, or issues to the bug tracker
The Themes addon adds a small set of configuration settings to the Preferences dialog. A new tab Theme is added containing a few new settings related to Gramps appearance.
There are four new settings;
- Theme:Adwaita setting allows the user to select from the installed themes on their machine. A few of the themes will come standard with the system library Gtk. Others may be part of the Operating System, particularly in Linux based systems.
Note that not all themes are fully compatible with Gtk and Gramps; if the theme selected doesn't look right, with missing elements or other issues, select another theme.
- Dark Variant If the selected theme includes a dark version of the theme as a subset, then this will activate the dark version. This is deselected by default. (Also called Dark Mode)
- Font This brings up a selector which allows the user to pick a Font, and/or change the font size. The fonts presented are those found on the system. After making a font change restart Gramps.
- Toolbar Text This enables text below the main Gramps toolbar icons. This is deselected by default.
- Fixed Scrollbar (Requires Restart) This changes the Gramps scrollbars to be a bit more 'classic' in that they don't disappear, they have the up/down buttons at the ends, and clicking in the empty space above and below the slider acts as page up or page down. This is deselected by default. This setting is only visible on Windows machines. Note that changing this setting requires restarting Gramps, and may require restarting your session (Log off and log back on to Windows), particularly when disabling the setting.
- Restore to Defaults This returns Gramps theme settings to their default values, as if no changes were made with these settings.
Installing your own theme
It is possible to change the Gramps theme on the Windows AIO.
The Gramps AIO version 5.0.x uses Gtk 3.18 or higher, so a theme MUST be selected that supports that version (themes that are designed for a later version may not work). The current Gtk version is reported in the Addon:Prerequisites_Checker_Gramplet.
Suitable alternate themes may be found at the gnome-look.org website.
Download the theme file (often a tar.gz) and, if necessary, decompress it using 7-zip or similar.
The decompressed files should be stored in "C:\Users\you\.themes" (replacing 'you' with your user name) so that the final directory structure looks like:
You should follow instructions for your distribution. Some other information that could help is provided GEPS_029:_GTK3-GObject_introspection_Conversion#GTK_3_theme.
- Downloadable themes (screen captures):
Some might find Yaru themes more to their liking. There are many other colors and dark themes.