→Using Gramps Citations
== Why Cite ==
You just want to explore your family tree, so why bother with all of this academic nonsense, right?
But if you want to share your family tree with other people, citations let you record how you know these things, and this record may last longer than you are around to explain.
Creating detailed citations can be time intensive and may seem to be a distraction from your research, but you will find the investment pays off later.
A simple family tree can be a little dry, but linking to related documents helps you embellish your family story.
== Guiding Principles ==
In order of importance:
* Citations help provide evidence of the conclusions (or 'facts') in your tree
* A citation should enable another researcher to easily identify the precise material you are referencing and how you came to some conclusion
* Citations should be as simple as possible to record while still being precise. Don't waste time on extensive detail if you
wont continue to be so thorough.
* Record a citation as soon as you can, before you forget or lose the details
* Adopt a good style early on to avoid rework later - you will probably never bother to fix hundreds of sloppy references
* Follow citation style guides if you can. A lot of thought has gone into what to record.
If you are just starting
out with your family tree, then you will probably want to just get started recording people and events in your tree. After a while, start adding citations to your tree. Then before you have gone too far with recording citations, occasionally review your citation style and consider how it might be when your tree is much larger and used by someone else.
== Sources, Repositories and Citations ==
== Using Gramps Citations ==
''Expand on [[
== General Style ==
| Media Type (not shared) || Yes ||
| Call number (not shared) || No? || This is a finding
aide, to help locate the source within a given repository. (There is no equivalent mechanism to help locate a citation within the repository, which is relevant where the source is multi-volume or electronic.) How to handle web repositories?
! Gramps Field !! Core Value? !! Comment
| Date || ? || Is this intended to be the event date, document publication date or date that I reviewed the source?
| Id || || Let Gramps auto-populate this
== Citing online evidence ==
== Examples ==
* [[Citation examples:Discussion with a relative]]
* [[Citation examples:Family Bible]]
* [[Citation examples:Reusing 2nd-hand citations]]
Also ==* [[ Gramps_3.4_Wiki_Manual_- _Main_Window#Citations_Category]]
== External Links ==
|The Ancestry Insider: Book Review: Evidence Explained]