(Redirected from Portal:Documentation)
Your Portal to information on Gramps
Gramps helps you track your family tree. It allows you to store, edit, and research genealogical data with your computer. Gramps attempts to provide all of the common capabilities of other genealogical programs, but, more importantly, to provide an additional capability of integration not common to these programs. This is the ability to input any bits and pieces of information directly into Gramps and rearrange/manipulate any/all data events in the entire data base (in any order or sequence) to assist the user in doing research, analysis and correlation with the potential of filling relationship gaps.
About | User's Manual | Features | Screenshots | Examples of reports | Reviews | Installation | Support | FAQ
Learn about Gramps
The Gramps User's Manual contains comprehensive information on all aspects of using Gramps. The User's Manual is available in many languages please check here for your language.
You can find additional articles on:
Tutorials : Recording UK Census data - Make a website with Gramps - Reports in another language - Add Table of Contents to reports - More
How do I...?: Short questions with short answers
Tips : Keyboard shortcuts - More
Gramps logic : Merging people - More
Troubleshooting : Known issues - Common problems
Gramps uses the language of genealogists. Sometimes this might be a bit daunting. An overview of terms used follows, with the meaning as used in Gramps, and with suggestions on how to work with these objects.
Gramps is an open source genealogical software program. It requires the help of its users to make manuals and tutorials. Fortunately, many users have contributed to the project, by adding tips, tutorials, user guides and examples to this wiki. Your continued involvement to this wiki is required to allow new users to quickly understand Gramps, and find answers to their usability questions.
- If there is a particular point that you feel should be documented (or where the existing documentation should be improved) then please look at How you can help. Perhaps you can write a tutorial on a specific aspect, or improve this wiki, or help with the User Manual.
- For help on genealogy in general, see the Genealogy Portal.
- If you want to help with coding, see the Developers Portal, where you find tutorials to create your own reports.
- Installation See the main Installation page link in the sidebar.
- Support Gramps is a complex product that is developed entirely by volunteer effort.
- Contacting us Reporting bugs, requesting enhancements, the mailing lists, IRC and the Gramps Forum.
- I still can't find what I'm looking for...
- To search the wiki for a feature, you will need to know that feature’s proper name. The Visual Guide to the Gramps Interface will identify what terms to search. If you have any questions on Gramps that are not solved by searching this wiki, then the Mailing Lists are a good place to find help. Search the archives of the gramps-users mailing list first, and if you cannot find the answer, join the gramps-users mailing list and then send your question to [email protected].